Sunday, June 2, 2013

Screen protector review

I stopped into my local USCC store this Thursday with a few items I had left over from some of my older phones that I thought my good friends there could use. I had some left over screen protectors from a tablet and a Samsung Galaxy SII I no longer own. As it turned out they had a gift for me there as well, they wanted me to try out a screen protector on my Samsung Galaxy S4. Now I have mastered the art of applying screen protectors a few months back.. (yeah I know I'm a little slow). So when they asked if I wanted to try out the screen protector I was a little hesitant, for a couple reasons. One I had a few sitting at my house and two I really didn't want to purchase something I really didn't need. As it turns out they had a extra one in the back for some reason or another. I don't look a gift horse in the mouth Now this screen protector is made by Puregear and is called PureTEK It is an industrial strength protector for HD screens. Its not new to me, I have seen them but comes with a hefty price tag. It retails at the store for $29.99, which is the main reason I have never tried them before.


So as I watched Devon set my phone in the cradle clean and prepare the phone as I have done myself I was thinking that this was going to be just a gimmick, the screen protector was going to be just a screen protector and nothing more. He set the clear film in place and with one smooth motion had a screen protector installed in seconds, no bubbles, no slight "to far to one side or the other" just a perfect fit. I thought that was cool as it takes me a few minutes to work out the bubbles and such.


Then came the news He should of told me this first I think. He said "It will take about 3 days for this thing to cure, but once it does if you scratch it the scratch will just "Melt away"". I'm not sure if it showed on my face but my mind was saying "Huh?". I have not tested the scratch part as I have a habit of trying to avoid such things on a brand new phone...Silly me. One thing I did notice was that the first day or two the screen protector was "Soft" and grabby. My finger or thumb wouldn't slide across the screen smoothly.Something else Devon should have told me. But as I had figured when he said it needed to "Cure" that meant it would smooth its self out, and it did. The thing is crystal clear and I am loving it. The fit is just right as it does not go from edge to edge which means I wont be peeling up the edges when I switch cases as I do so often. I have had that issue on many screen protectors I have used in the past, in fact its the main reason I have to replace them. So maybe you do really get what you pay for, this one time anyway. I am picking up another S4 this month as my line comes up for an upgrade. I think I will be adding this screen protector too, as I will be using both phones the price is cut in half The way I look at it anyway. So I will post again if I ever scratch this puppy and it "Melts away". But for now I am thinking that if you have a pricy phone and switch out cases (or you are just hard on screen protectors) you might just want to give this one a try.

2 comments:

  1. I have one on my SIII and it is as good as they say. It has been on for about 8 or 9 months and is as good as new. Good choice duck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife has one on her S3 and it feels to plastic like for me. Maybe it's just me. She's had it on for about a week now.

    ReplyDelete