Thursday, July 23, 2015

Rush at 40, Rush rocks Portland.


I know this is suposse to be a phone blog... Well the picture were taken with my Galaxy S6 edge from way up top in the Moda Center in portland, so it still has something to do with phones... some what.


I was lucky enough to see this band on Tuesday night. This was my 12th time seeing the band I have been following for as it would happen to be 40 years now. This was their r40 tour celibrating the band being together for 40+ years. Now I have seen a ton of concerts in my many days. Seen some of the biggest bands around, some of the one hit wonders as well. Now on Monday before the show if you would of asked me who was the best show I had seen I would of said, Paul McCartney, Yes and Santana. Although Rush has been my favorite band, those three shows were just that good. If you asked me today who was the best show I would say, Rush 2015 tour without a doubt, not even close. They blew away every other show I had seen.


They played for about three hours with a break in the middle. At the break the road crew switched out Neil's new modern drum set for an older style drum set like he played back in the 70's. The sound difference was amazing. plus he had all those chimes and cowbells. They played songs from every album, they started the night with their newer songs and worked their way backwards ending the night with the best version of Working Man I have heard to date.

For a band that are all in their 60's the showed no sign of age. Geddy Lee was jumping up and down on stage, my knees hurt just watching him. He hit the high notes as well if not better than he ever had, and his bass playing can't be matched. Neil Peart played flawless as always his timing was perfect, even when he switched from one drumset to the other there was not loss of awsomeness.

Now for Alex Lifeson; The man has always been on top of his game, but for some reason I would always put Santana above him. Well after this show Alex has made the top of my list. He out did himself Tuesday night. His playing alone on Working Man just blew me away!


If I had to decribe this show in just a few words they would be "I have no words" But I will use these to try. "I wish I could live it all again"

Of course no show is complete without good friends. I was lucky enough to have my best friend of many years with me for her first show. Carla is new to Rush (only been a fan for about ten years or so) She planed the whole trip out and booked the hotel, tickets and bus there and back. My hat is off to her.

I also got to finally meet a long time online friend and fellow Rush fan Patricia before the show. we three went to a pre-show party then the show and met up after.



There are 5 more shows to go, then they will be done. They say this will most likely be their last major tour. If that is true I at least got to see the best show of my life on their last tour. They may still cut a few more albums and maybe even do a few shows to promote them. If I get the chance to see them again I will, if not I can live with knowing that I seen them at their best.

Oh and I did pick up some things to remember the show

Duck out

No comments:

Post a Comment